Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Will These Days Ever End???

Now please don't get me wrong. I love my daughter more than anything else in the world. I would do anything for her. But I have to say this "terrible two" stage that has gone on for what seems like her whole life is getting extremely tiring. If I'm not constantly telling her not to hit the dog, to please not yell, to stop telling ME not to tell her no or to please go potty, I'm asking her to sit to eat, say "please" and "thank you" if you want something and you receive it or to stop throwing herself around the room. I know I am not the first mother to go through this, and I certainly won't be the last, but sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy! That feeling of frustration, exhaustion, depression, anxiety, and loneliness tends to get to you!

I'm sure in another couple years I will wish I had this stage in her life back, but right now, I hope for anything else. If I could leave the room for more than a few seconds without her screaming "Mommy" it would be a miracle, even if someone else is with her. If I could get her to not whine about everything under the sun, it would be a godsend. If I could get some work done while she was awake, I would be eternally grateful. Unfortunately, I do things early in the morning, at naptime, or at night after she's finally resting peacefully.

I have done a lot of reading once I found out I was going to have a baby, and I still read as much as I can. I look for advice anywhere I can. However, not much seems to work with my child. I have found a book about Spirited Children and absolutely believe I am a parent to one. I will talk about this a little more in depth when I have some sanity, but a Spirited Child is more energetic, more emotional, more perceptive, and more intense than other children. My husband doesn't seem to buy into it, but spending every day with her for nearly 3 years, tells me this is the case. So for now I am grabbing a few moments while she is watching a movie with my grandma before I burst! I need to get out my feelings, so I figured my blog was the perfect place. I have realized I need more time to myself. I have focused solely on my daughter, and my business for the last 3 years. I can count the number of times on two hands that I have left her overnight with someone. It just doesn't feel right to me. But, as things are becoming more of a handful, I know I have to let others help me when they can. So with that I will return upstairs feeling a little more able to handle things again. It's soon bedtime:)

1 comment:

Annette Piper said...

Oh dear Michelle - I can TOTALLY relate. I have THREE spirited children! I remember going to a mothers coffee morning with all the assorted children and some moms had their children playing quietly at their feet! What the????! I didn't even realise children like that existed!!! Mine exhaust me every day. We put in place some pretty strict guidlelines and just repeated ourselves over and over and over and over.... you get the idea. They are totally precious children and I love them dearly but they're exhausting - even just to watch. We put them to bed at night because WE'RE tired!

Definitely take some time out and have the odd day/night by yourself or even a weekend away to get back in touch with who YOU are and this will give you some additional reserves to cope with those hard days!