Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekend Getaway

For the first time in a while, my husband and I had a little getaway this weekend. I knew I needed a little time away from the little one before our family vacation in a few weeks. I have always loved Philadelphia, so we decided to visit again. I myself am a city girl. I love that there is something to do on every street. Shops, restaurants, parks, book stores, bars (yes, bars)! I wish I had more to do where I live besides the one mall and few playgrounds to take Chloe to. I would love to be able to take a stroll around the neighborhood or park each day instead of driving every where. Alas, that isn't the case. So I really enjoyed my trip to the "City of Brotherly Love".

While Chloe was happily off with my parents, we had a relaxing, albeit scorching, time in the city! We visited a lovely little cafe for lunch, explored some little shops, visited a cigar bar for the hubby, and just walked! I was drenched by the middle of the day from sweat, and my feet were throbbing, but after a short nap, I was ready to go again! We had a nice pre-dinner drink (or two) and had the most fabulous dinner I can remember. I must say it was wonderful to not have to fight with someone to eat, sit still, or not be so noisy, and actually enjoy what I was eating! We ate at an asian restaurant where we had incredible dumplings, crab fried rice, and miso glazed cod. A rare treat! After some more walking around, and a trip to our favorite pub, I was ready to retire! We started the next day with a lovely breakfast and a trip to the enourmous Reading Terminal Market. If you are familiar with the city, I'm sure you know this is one of the largest markets around. They have everything! I would love to buy fresh food every day for dinner here. We spent some more time walking, had a famous Philly cheesesteak, and headed for home. Unexpectedly, I had a call from my mom that she wanted to keep Chloe overnight again. I was really missing her and looking forward to seeing her, but we decided to let her stay. I knew she must have been having fun or my mom wouldn't have asked! After a long weekend, it was good to be home and in my own bed. Back to "work" today and I do miss my time away. It will be a while until another one of those weekends! For now, I look forward to enjoying Chloe's birthday this week, the big 3! I can't believe it!! Time really does go fast, whether we like it or not.

No comments: