Thursday, October 23, 2008

Inspiration and A Tagging Game



I am asked quite often where I get the inspiration for my designs. There are many things that inspire me. First and foremost, I think the beads themselves make the design. I often by a bead because I love it, then later on figure out what to do with it. I'm also inspired by TV, fashion magazines, and images on the internet. I love to see what other people are wearing and sometimes I take something I've seen and put my own spin on it. I'm also inspired by the seasons: fall brings about the changes in the leaves, winter brings sparkly snow, spring with it's vibrant flowers, and summer just reminds me of the beach. I was recently reading the blog, Designing Hilary, where she talks about her inspirations. Hilary is a very talented jewelry designer whom I've met in several of the social networks we belong to. Check out her shop to see what I mean!
The ring above is one of my newest designs and I was inspired by the beautiful Vintaj brass pieces. I wanted to do a ring in brass, and when I saw they introduced this etruscan piece that could be manipulated into a ring band, I was thrilled. I love the look of this brass, it has a vintage look while still being modern. I used a round of Chinese Ocean Jasper which I think compliments it perfectly.
Lastly, I've been tagged! I have to say it's a first. My wonderful buddy Annette of Under the Loupe tagged me and I must tell you 7 things you may not know about me and then nominate 7 other blogs, with a link to the person's blog who tagged you. Here goes:
1. I was raised by a single mother.
2. I've always been very shy and mostly a loner.
3. I wanted to be a veternarian when I was little.
4. I have a B.A. in Visual & Apparel Merchandising.
5. I was diagnosed with Endometriosis when I was 13, and was told I most likely would never be able to have children. I proved the doctor's wrong and had my miracle baby 3 years ago!
6. I used to model in high school.
7. I have a very mixed ancestry. I am part Irish, German, Dutch, Italian, and Native American. My husband calls me the melting pot!
Okay, enough of that! Here are the 7 blogs I've tagged:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh it's so fun getting to know each other better!
Thanks for sharing, Lynn

BPOTW said...

What a beautiful ring! Your inspiration certainly does good things for you!

Thanks for submitting your post!

Annette Piper said...

Thanks for participating in the tagging game Michelle! It's great to get to know our blogging buddies a bit better :)